Wednesday, April 05, 2006


Gajapathian!!
What's that??

I wrote a blog about why I cannot write a blog. However more than the topic, the name of my blog - Gajapathian created more interest and curiosity in people. Since then, people have asked me what's a Gajapathian.

Some knowledgeable folks have suggested that its got something to do with an 'Elephant'. Well, it certainly does - but certainly not in reference to me being the size of one!!!! Gajapathi is a dynasty which ruled North Andhra circa 1300 AD. I would want to lay to rest all speculation that I am a decendant or something of this great dynasty. I wouldn't even think of claiming to be one!

My relation with this dynasty is something as follows : I am an alumnus of Sainik School, Korukonda (hereinafter referred to as 'Saikorian') and we had houses named after the great dynasties of southern India. Gajapathi house was one among them and I was a part of this house for 7 long years. Now we were fiercely spirited about our house and always strived for one-upmanship of the same whether it be in sports, academics, parades or whatnot!

Saikorians are a crazy lot you know! They are intelligent but also foolish; they are hard but also soft; they are fearless but also timid; they are shrewd but also simple. These are the kind of guys who can be physically present but mentally absent and vice versa - dont ask me how!! Some things are inexplicable and Saikorians are completely incomprehensible in some regards.

Gajapathians expound the qualities of the dynasty that they are named after. They are one hell of a clan!! Royal, brave, exceedingly smart, extravagant, open-hearted, affectionate and yes once again - completely crazy. Now, whether I like it or not - I seem to have picked up most of these 'features'. I take great pride in being a Saikorian and I take greater pride in being a Gajapathian. Hence when I was thinking for an appropriate name for my blog - I homed in on this. I want my articles to be hallmarks of Gajapathian qualities. I may not strike a cord in someone when they read my articles; they need not be moved by them, they need not be provoked by them; they need not get tears of sadness or peals of laughter - but yes they should certainly be able to identify with me and what I stand for........after all - I am a Gajapathian!!!

2 comments:

Life is a box of chocolates said...

Hmm, now thats what I call being a Gajapathian, they just cant stop talking being a gajapathian.

Good Work man!
Nice way to put in some information into people.

So whats next? Mauryans or Guptans (Junior House or the adjacent house)

murali said...

am not a gajapathian ....these spiritd used to matter a lot when we were staying in the school but after all now we are saikorians and this is the spirit that holds us together now and then and going to hold us together there after


am ur adjacent one the golden guptan